|Gluten-Free Apple Spice Cake with Bourbon Whipped Cream|
|If you like coffee cake, you'll love this spicy apple cake!|
Now, what do you make when you only have 2 apples in the house, and some spankin’ new gluten-free all purpose flour? Apple Cake! This coffee cake-style cake is moist, spicy, with a bite of apples and a caramelized brown sugar & butter topping. It is excellent with whipped cream, and the Bourbon Whipped Cream is a special treat, indeed. Vanilla ice cream or caramel sauce would also rock.
Click here to read the recipe and instructions
Gluten-Free Apple Spice Cake with Bourbon Whipped Cream(Based on a recipe from Canadian Living)
(Bourbon Whipped Cream recipe below.)
Ingredients1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup apple juice
1 3/4 cups Gluten-Free all purpose flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill brand)
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup butter
2 apples, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare a 9” springform pan by lining the bottom with a circle of parchment or waxed paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter with both sugars until thoroughly blended. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together sour cream and apple juice. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices until blended.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture, one third at a time, alternating with sour cream mixture, mixing completely in between additions, ending with sour cream mixture.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 1/4 cup butter with 3/4 cup brown sugar until sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Arrange apple slices on top of batter decoratively. Drizzle melted brown sugar-butter mixture over top of apples.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until tester inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.
- Best served warm with Bourbon Whipped Cream (recipe below) or vanilla ice cream.
Bourbon Whipped Cream
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 tablespoon bourbon
1 tablespoon sugar
Pour bourbon & sugar into whipping cream and beat on high speed until soft peaks form.