Saturday, March 8, 2014

Orange & White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Orange & White Chocolate Chip Cookies taste exactly like a Creamsicle!

As winter marches on, I have found myself drifting off to my “happy place” more and more often. You know the place; sunshine, sandy beach, nothing to do but splash around in the water. Summers spent lakeside. Walking to the general store in flip flops – I could feel the heat of the pavement through the thin rubber of my shoes. At the store, I slid back the misted glass of the freezer, full of frozen delight. Which one to choose? I usually chose the creamsicle; not quite ice cream, not quite popsicle. Tart, creamy, and sweet. Orange and milk doesn’t seem like it should mix well, but here, it came together and somehow it just worked. Clutching my frozen treasure, I slapped my sticky stack of quarters on the counter and immediately ripped off the paper wrapping. Outside, not ten steps later, the treat already melted down my arm. The last bites were almost liquid, dripping down my chin in a fluorescent orange line, flavoured every so slightly with the woody tang of the stick. What did it matter if it was messy? Another jump in the lake soon washed away any dinner-ruining evidence.

The creamsicle flavour strongly evokes summer for me so much, that one bite of these Orange and White Chocolate Cookies immediately took me back to that sunny lakeside, full of laziness and fun.

What memory takes you back to summer?


Try freezing the cookies before eating — deloosh!

Click through for the recipe & instructions…
Orange & White Chocolate Cookies

Based on this recipe at The Girl Who Ate Everything

Makes about 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients
2.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Zest from 2 oranges
2 cups white chocolate chps

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F. 
  2. In a small bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt together. Set aside. 
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add both sugars and beat until light and fluffy; about 2 minutes. 
  4. Add egg and vanilla, mix until combined. 
  5. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture and mix until completely incorporated. Add orange zest and white chocolate chips and stir until just combined. 
  6. Spoon batter onto parchment-lined baking sheets by the heaping teaspoonful. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until just starting to turn golden on the bottoms. 
  7. Cool cookies completely on a wire rack — enjoy!

2 comments:

dina said...

the orange flavor is a refreshing change in a cookie!

Unknown said...

OH! Great post..I was so impressed I've found this kind of blog..Thanks.

Ice Cream