Friday, June 1, 2012

Oatmeal Rolo Cookies


Soft 'n' chewy Oatmeal Rolo Cookies

One day at work, I was discussing the awesomeness of oatmeal cookies with my friend and co-worker, and the age-old debate of Raisins vs. Chocolate Chips came up. I am a raisin fan, while my friend is in on Team Chocolate Chip. I was defending the raisin version when she said, "But have you ever tried oatmeal cookies with mini Rolos in them?"

Doesn't everyone have baking debates at work?
My eyes glazed over and my jaw hung open stupidly while I pictured just that: soft, chewy oatmeal cookies studded with droplets of caramel-filled chocolate cups. "Challenge accepted," I vowed. I went to the store that very day and picked up a package of Mini Rolos.

Mini Rolo candies! Mmmmmm....

Well, I tried it and I loved it! My cookies had oozy caramel blooming around them, so I suggest you freeze the Rolo candies first, so they don't melt completely. The cookies themselves are chewy and substantial. The dough is quite soft, so refrigerate it before you use it. Your cookies will spread out less if the dough is nice and cold.

Remember to freeze the Mini Rolos first, or you will get seepage.
Refrigerate your dough so the cookies don't spread too much.

This is a great, basic chewy oatmeal cookie dough. I am a purist, so I do like raisins in my oatmeal cookies. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the raisin version. Or, use chocolate chips, if you're into that! Here's another idea: white chocolate chips and dried cranberries, with a teaspoon of orange zest. Damn, that sounds good — I'm going to try that, too.


Oatmeal Rolo Cookies
Based on this recipe by Smitten Kitchen


Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 8 oz. package Mini Rolo candy

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Place Rolo candies in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the freezer for about an hour.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
  5. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until combined. Add oats and mix again until combined.
  6. Removed Rolo candies from freezer and stir gently into cookie dough.
  7. Refrigerate cookie dough for about an hour.
  8. Scoop generous balls of dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, and lightly flatten cookie with the back of a spoon.
  9. Bake at 350°F for about 10-12 minutes, or until edges just start to brown slightly.
  10. Let cool for a few minutes on baking sheets before letting cool completely on a wire rack. 
Makes 12-14 cookies, depending on how large you make them!

No comments: