This is the very best gingerbread I have ever tasted. They are spicy and flavorful, with a nice chewy texture.
Based on a recipe from Martha Stewart Living
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup fancy molasses
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons meringue powder
scant 1/4 cup water
- Cookies: In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in spices and salt until combined. Add egg and molasses and stir until combined.
- Add flour mixture on low speed. Chill dough for about an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Roll out dough to about 1/8" thick and cut out shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely before decorating.
- Icing: In the bowl of a stand mixer, blend icing sugar and meringue powder until combined. Slowly add water until combined. Beat for 10 minutes.
- Put icing into piping bag with a small round tip. Pipe designs onto cookies, then sprinkle with decorative sugar or sprinkles.