Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Pecan Pie

Decadent Pecan Pie
Pecan Pie, a decadent, sugary circle of nutty goodness.

I am often asked to bring dessert to family dinners. This Christmas, I wanted to bring a touch of the south to dinner with a rich, decadent Pecan Pie. True to form, I ran out of time to make my own pastry, so for these pies I used purchased pie shells (gasp!) which is perfectly FINE if you are BUSY and working full time and running around and don't want to show up at dinner without dessert! Stop judging me! LOL

I spent a year of my teenage life in Mississippi, in what you would call the Deep South. I was a fish out of water, being a Canadian girl suddenly living in a small town where foreigners never visited. My family never quite fit in there, however, my mother and I embraced the cuisine of our new home wholeheartedly.

I have so many fond food memories, but Pecan Pie is one that stands out, especially around the holidays. I never had a pie made of nuts before — it seemed so weird! Put a slice of Pecan Pie in front of me, and I am transported back to that time. And don't forget a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

Decadent Pecan Pie
You beautiful, beautiful, pie.




Pecan Pie
Based on this recipe from Martha Stewart 
Makes two 9" pies

Ingredients
Two 9" single crust pie shells (or make your own!)
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
4 large whole eggs
1.5 cups plus 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
2 tablespoons bourbon, or dark rum
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (5 1/4 ounces) pecan halves
Vanilla ice cream (optional) for serving

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, eggs, corn syrup, bourbon, and vanilla. Fold in half the pecans. Pour filling into pie shell; arrange remaining pecan halves on top of pie. 
  2. Bake 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F. Bake until a knife tip comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

No comments: