|Coffee break time!|
|Caramel-Glazed Apple Quick Bread makes a great gift|
I was craving a warm, spicy apple bread. I glazed this one with a brown sugary caramel glaze and sprinkled the top with toasted pecans. If you like a more nutty bread, mix the pecans right into the batter.
|Caramel-Glazed Apple Quick Bread|
Caramel-Glazed Apple Quick Bread
Based on this recipe
Apple Quick Bread
1-1/2 cups shredded, peeled apple (about 2 apples)
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup buttermilk*
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 2 - 4” x 8” loaf pans by spraying bottoms lightly with vegetable spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together shredded apple, brown sugar, buttermilk, vegetable oil and eggs until completely mixed. Set aside.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Add flour mixture to apple mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter between 2 loaf pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pans for about 20 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack until completely cooled.
- To make glaze: In a small saucepan, melt butter and stir in brown sugar. Bring sugar mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 2 minutes. Add milk, then bring back to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Allow glaze to come to room temperature. Stir in sifted icing sugar.
- Drizzle about half the glaze over the tops of the loafs. Sprinkle toasted pecans on top of the wet glaze, then use remaining glaze to drizzle over loafs again.
*No buttermilk? To make 1/2 cup of homemade buttermilk, mix 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, stir it and let it sit for a few minutes to curdle. Stir again before using.
|Extra glaze? |
'Just Desserts' for more sweet and delicious recipes!