|Strawberries 'n Cream Ice Cream – the perfect summer ice cream treat|
It is the tail end of strawberry season here in the valley. I finally got motivated to go down to Driediger Farm — a local berry farm — and grab the last of the strawberries. Thankfully, they were still red, plump and juicy. I have to say that there's no better aroma than freshly picked strawberries, warmed by the sun. Heaven!
Letting the strawberries soak in sugar (macerating) brings out all the ripe strawberry flavour and ruby red colour. There are no eggs in this recipe, so the richness comes from the cream and sour cream — I recommend you use the highest fat versions of both creams. If you can find greek yogurt, even better.
|This one's mine.|
This is the best strawberry ice cream I have ever tasted! It is rich and creamy, and the strawberry flavour is amazing. I hope you love it, too!
To make ice cream at home, you need an ice cream machine of some kind. I use this one by Cuisinart. You will also need a food processor or good blender. Have fun!
Strawberries 'n' Cream Ice Cream
Recipe by David Lebovitz from his book, 'The Perfect Scoop'
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sour cream
1 lb strawberries, washed, hulled & sliced
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon vodka
- In a large bowl, stir together the strawberries, sugar and vodka until the sugar just starts to dissolve. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- In a food processor, combine strawberry mixture, lemon juice, sour cream and heavy cream. Pulse until mixture is almost completely smooth, but still a little bit chunky.
- Cover and refrigerate mixture for 1 hour.
- Freeze strawberry mixture in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Like most homemade ice cream, it tastes best when taken out of the freezer about 15 minutes before serving.