When life hands you lemons — make Lemon Lemon Cake! I made this cake twice last week, and I LOVE it. I am so IN love with it, I will have to MARRY it. Seriously.
|Moist lemon cake, covered in rich, lemon cream cheese frosting, and filled with homemade lemon curd.|
|What is it with me and lemons lately?|
Lemon Lemon Cake
Cake: Based on a recipe by Cooking Light
Lemon Curd: Based on a recipe by Joy of Baking.com
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar1 tablespoon lemon zest
3 tablespoons thawed lemonade concentrate
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
3 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon lemon zest
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
2 8-oz. packages cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon thawed lemonade concentrate
1 tablespoon lemon zest1 tsp vanilla
2 cups icing sugar
|Lemon Cake: I can't quit you!|
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Prepare two 9" cake pans with cooking spray and lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar, lemon zest, lemonade concentrate and vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add egg whites one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add half the buttermilk, mixing well afterwards. Add half the flour, mixing well afterwards. Repeat, ending with the flour. Mix until just combined.
- Divide batter equally between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Test with a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake, until it comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely before assembling.
Method: Lemon Curd
- Place a large mixing bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water. To the mixing bowl, add eggs, sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until combined.
- Continue whisking until mixture reaches 160° F on an instant-read thermometer, or reaches the consistency of a thick sauce.
- Remove from heat and add butter and lemon zest, stirring until butter is melted.
- Cool curd in the refrigerator, with plastic wrap resting on the surface of the curd to prevent a skin from forming.
Method: Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese together until fluffy.
- Add lemonade concentrate, lemon zest and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Add icing sugar. Mix on low speed until combined. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to firm up.
Method: Assemble the Cake
- Place one cake layer on a plate. Spread about 1/4 cup of frosting on top of first layer.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of lemon curd on top of frosting, spreading almost to the edges of the layer but not quite.
- On top of this, add the second cake layer. Press down on top layer gently — not too hard or the lemon curd will squirt out! Spread the rest of the frosting over top and sides of cake, using whatever stylin' makes you smile.
Store cake in the refrigerator, if it lasts that long. Enjoy!